Difficulty paying your rent or mortgage?

Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance is available

Accessing Emergency Rental or Mortgage Assistance 

Income-eligible individuals and families, regardless of immigration status, who have lost income or seen expenses rise due to a hardship, including COVID-19, can apply for help with overdue rent or mortgage payments, short-term rent or mortgage stipends, and in some cases, moving costs (first, last, security) through state programs, state, federal and privately funded programs such as: 

  • ERAP (Federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program)
  • RAFT (Residential Assistance for Families in Transition) 
  • ERMA (Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance) 
  • City/town emergency rental assistance programs 
  • Private homeless prevention programs
  • HAF* (Homeowner Assistance Fund) 

Apply now by visiting the central application on the state's website. For questions, find  your local Regional Administering Agency using the locator below. 

*HAF is not administered by the Regional Administering Agencies. Visit https://massmortgagehelp.org/ to apply.

For Tenants & Homeowners

Your household may be eligible for assistance paying the rent or mortgage income limits, documentation and other criteria apply.  APPLY NOW   https://www.mass.gov/applying-for-rental-assistance-in-massachusetts-to-avoid-eviction

For Landlords & Lenders

Whether your tenants/mortgage-holder is already behind or expects they soon will be, you can help by assisting with their application & understanding what you'll need to provide.      APPLY NOW   https://www.mass.gov/applying-for-rental-assistance-in-massachusetts-to-avoid-eviction 

For Organizations, Caseworkers, and Others Helping People Apply

Supporting someone in need of emergency rental or mortgage assistance? Access important checklists and understand next steps.   APPLY NOW     https://www.mass.gov/applying-for-rental-assistance-in-massachusetts-to-avoid-eviction

- OR -

South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc.
7 Bishop Street, Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 872-0765
(508) 620-2697 - Fax

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do the programs work?  If you are found eligible, the RAA will pay your landlord (or lender, if you are a homeowner) directly. Funds will not go to you directly. Your landlord/lender must provide documentation for funds to be approved. You should notify them you have applied.

Am I guaranteed assistance?  No. You must meet the eligibility criteria, and funds are spent continually and can run out at any time during the process.

How does the application process work? 
Step 1: Apply online. Submit as complete an application as possible - 85% of applications are incomplete and completed ones process faster.
Step 2: Program staff may contact you asking for documentation. It is critical you respond and provide all documentation promptly or your application will be closed out.
Step 3: Your landlord (or lender, if you are a homeowner) will be contacted and asked to provide documentation and if they will accept the assistance payment.

What if I need assistance applying (either language or technology help)?  Contact your RAA using the tool above. Applications are available in multiple languages and can be mailed to you.

What will I need to provide?  Documentation of income reduction or expense increase, documentation of rent or mortgage owed, identification for the head of household and income information for all members of the household, a copy of the lease or mortgage statement, and other documentation. It is critical that you respond to RAA staff with this information right away. 

Should I apply at multiple Regional Administering Agencies?  No. This will slow down the process. Each Regional Administering Agency is only allowed to accept applications for the communities covered in their region.

I am concerned I make too much to qualify for ERAP, RAFT or ERMA; what should I do?  Contact your RAA anyway. Many administer or know of private or local emergency funds.

How long does it take to get approved?  Processing times vary depending on demand, which is unprecedented. Applicants are urged to apply as soon as you know you'll be unable to pay all or part of the rent or mortgage, respond to staff when they ask for documentation, and have patience. Processing can take several weeks, which is why it is important to apply as soon as you think you may be unable to pay.

How do I know which program to apply for?  There is now one application for ERAP, RAFT, and ERMA; program staff will determine which program you qualify for so you don't have to. 

If I need more help, where else can I go?   The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has a list of Eviction Diversion resources. Nine regional Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCECs) offer answers to a wide range of questions about housing issues and cover every city and town in the state. Tenants, landlords, prospective buyers, and homeowners can access region-specific information designed to maximize housing stability, strengthen investments, and minimize disputes. Visit masshousinginfo.org to find your local HCEC.

What should I expect once I apply?  Your Regional Administering Agency will be in touch with you about next steps. Make sure to respond to them right away. Expect several weeks between applying and learning whether you are approved or denied. The RAA will notify you and your landlord by phone, email, or letter that you have been approved and when your landlord can expect payment. Usually the notification letter is sent prior to the payment. 

Who pays for this?  ERAP and ERMA are state programs developed using federal dollars. RAFT is a Massachusetts state program. Other programs come from a variety of sources.